Sunday, May 16, 2010

Entry 11

THE RETURN OF MAX
So there I was standing in the middle of the road feeling very foolish. Chief Amadi’s colleague had whisked him away. He followed without even stopping to think “oh what would poor Tabby do out there on her own” instead, he was hopping along like a bunny chasing poisoned carrot, not even a backwards glance! Buh! I know this would be the last time chief what’s his name would have the opportunity, no scratch that! make it privilege. This is the last time that coconut headed chief would have the privilege of walking beside the Most Beautiful Girl on Campus! Can you imagine? If it is that easy to win the title, let him carry his daughter and put on the catwalk now! I turned away and walked in the other direction, away from the spot where I was jilted as I did a semi-jog; I wondered when my branded car was going to be given to me. It was because of the frigging car I entered into the competition in the first place. I jumped out of my 3rd and 4th life when a taxi driver high on kparaga missed sweeping me off my feet by inches. God forbid bad thing! That was not now I imagined I’d go. When the mad man was gone, I looked up, to make sure it wasn’t the invasion of little demons on Nneka’s payroll and who did I see? Seated in a brand new Mercedes jeep, looking like he was torn out of the center fold of a Cosmo magazine was Max. My heart stopped for a second, I lost life number 2. What was he doing on campus? He was supposed to be at the other side of the country; he didn’t strike me as the type to grace the floors of this campus. He wasn’t supposed to be here, why was he here? I wore a blank expression and continued my journey across to the other side. No other taxi driver took a swing at my life; I was safely across the road. I stood there for a while, nothing came from max, no voice shouting Tabby cat, no horse whistle, no ''baby boy'' ring tone from my phone, nothing. He wasn’t here for me, he was probably here for another reason. All of a sudden, I didn’t feel like MBGC anymore. Max was here, nothing else mattered. My phone rang, it had been ringing for a while, I looked at the caller id, it was an unknown number; I did not pick. After a while, a text came in, it was Chief Amadi. I punched the delete button and walked away; I don’t recall giving him my number.

- Tabby

No comments:

Post a Comment