Friday, May 21, 2010

Entry 04

YOU TARZAN, ME RUN!!

To be honest with myself, if I were to plead my case in a court of law I’d take partial blame because as a matter of fact, I was jobless too but first,the judge? he’d have to hear me out;

There I was reading my books in a very uncomfortable but well lighted corner in class. It was 10:45pm, almost an hour since I had been at it when a curious gentleman seated in my front caught my attention. I decided to watch him for a while and would you believe it? After about 30 minutes or there about, he would stop reading, take out a pink comb from his pocket and comb his hair both ways. Always starting from the right and moving to the left. After he was through grooming, he would twirl his pen in the air for about 20 seconds before dropping it and resuming his reading. I don’t know if it was Nneka’s people of darkness that pushed me to action or if it was the joblessness itself but whatever it was, I found myself leaning forward to ask him 'how far' when he followed the same procedure for the 4th time in a row. As he turned to speak to me, I was over whelmed by the sudden urge to cry. My eyes filled with tears and at the same time, I wanted to puke his breath was bad as in bad!! Whether it was body odor or bad breath, i didn't want to know!! Men, who send me message?
I wove my hand and shook my head at him with the hope that he’d think I mistook him for someone I knew and ran out of the class, watery eyes and all.
When I returned, there was a student (...or man pretending to be a student; I can’t say if he was under the influence or not) in front of the class preaching.
i went to my seat and tried to resume my quest for higher knowledge. Buh! There I was red-eyed, battling sleep and struggling to read and this inconsiderate being was shouting at the top of his voice that hell was near.
I remember somewhere in the bible, there is a passage about there being a time for everything. So, him consuming my reading time and me praying to God for understanding; which of us was closer to hells gate? (Nneka could be the judge of that).
After 30 minutes of systems shutdown with no backup in sight. I packed my notes and padded off to the female hostel. I decided to sleep with my girlfriend Ivy tonight.
At the car park, there were still cars littered about; talk about oppressors! I was tempted to go and place my head on the glass of one of the tinted cars to see just what was so important that they couldn’t wait till dawn. Before I could give into my impulsive spirit, Ivy wandered outside and spotted me.
Hum… I guess now would be a good time to tell her about Thomas [well, the edited version of course!]

- TABBY

No comments:

Post a Comment