Monday, July 26, 2010

Entry 29

BODMAS

3:47am

Bracket of division multiplication and subtraction… [or something like it].
Okay really, I am absolutely beginning to wonder about myself and weddings! It is beginning to cause raised eyebrows within my head!! It’s like every time I go for one, I come back with a 2nd other. Buh this time, I got two others!!
(drumrolls)Enter: Paul and Faruk.
Paul is the cousin of the bride (now newlywed now wife) and Faruk was my ride home.
I was late for the wedding (blame it on bad roads, traffic and impatient Nigerian’s) and lost my initial ride to the venue. After much shuttling and vehicle transfer, I finally made it to the venue.
There I was standing by myself feeling sorry for me and so left out and there he was looking sinfully male! There was eye contact and a nod of acknowledgment there and then, I decided that I’d talk to him even if it was the last thing I do.
Just as I was about to open my lips to let out the word “hi” a pretty petite and gorgeous looking ‘plastic’ bundled into his arms and placed a noisy kiss on his cheeks.
I quickly swallowed the unspoken words and thanked G*d I hadn’t done anything stupid only to discover that he had a (not just) girlfriend (but a possessive one at that).
He turned my way, I stood very still and begun pretending that I was invincible.
I was convinced that I had succeeded until I felt a light touch on my shoulder [sigh].
The ‘touch-er’ asked what I was doing standing all by myself in the middle of the hall with my eyes closed.
Realizing telling him the truth would make a very bad 1st impression; I shrugged and mumbled something about a bug and flowers.
He said his name was Faruk and asked if he could stand with me. We chatted for a while and I got to find out that the gorgeous ‘plastic’ was the sister to Paul; the G*d crafted Adonis I had missed. I cursed and bit my finger, what was wrong with that girl? Why on earth would she be showing so much affection for her brother like that, in public for that matter, buh!!
Ah well, I got Faruk; a final year student in the faculty of arts sensitive and playful.
He was my consolation prize.
Being that he lived not too far from my place in school and he had to drop off a few things at his place before returning to town that same day, I stuck around so, he’d give me a ride home.
That same day(lying belly up on my bed and wondering about the possibility of trees taking over the world) hours after the wedding, I got a call from an unknown number with a male voice.
After much begging and promises to do unspeakable things if he’d tell me who he was, he confessed that he loved my smile and was heartbroken because he didn’t get the chance to talk to me.
“Paul!”
After silencing the alleluia chorus that had let out in my head(buh, I was talking to Paul! Paul didn't think I was invincible, Paul 'dug' me), I asked if his sister would approve of him talking to another woman describing her behavior as a little bit curious.
He laughed it off saying that she hadn’t seen him in a while hence the affection and suggested that if I spent some time with her, I’d discover she was a fun person.
After I said no thanks, he asked me to be his girlfriend [just like that!] without thinking, I said yes! We talked for a while longer and then there was a knock at my door.
I promised to see him as soon as I could then raced to open the door...
Standing on my corridor looking very out of place, handsome and at the same time cute was Faruk, a plastic bag from a popular supermarket and a bunch of flowers [all artificial though... the flowers I mean].
He couldn’t stop thinking about me and drove all the way from town to see me!
That is like the sweetest thing a guy can do at this day and time.
Geez, I hate weddings!!
- Tabby

1 comment: